Do you have dreams about starting your own rock band? Want to learn the guitar but don’t know the first thing about chords? Even the most inexperienced musician can create a home studio for jamming, recording, and experimenting without much knowledge. You might think you need a bunch of fancy music studio equipment to make it happen, but you really only need a few basics to get started. If you’re headed to the music store, keep these tips in mind:
- Pick your instrument. This might seem obvious, but have you decided what you really want to play first? Of course you can pick up other instruments as well, but start with the one you’re dying to get your hands on. Whether it’s a guitar, the saxophone, or the bongo drums, follow your passion.
- Get a good amp. If you love the sound of things now, wait till you hear it through a good amp. Getting at least one amp will help you rock out in style until you’ve got a full studio.
- Research some free recording software. Did you come up with a new song but forget it? If you get some free recording software, you can make sure you don’t lose any brilliant riffs or genius progressions.
It doesn’t take much to get started even if you don’t have a lot of money to buy expensive music studio equipment. Pick up the basics and upgrade them over time. Before you know it, you’ll be making and mastering beats like the pros.
Where to Buy Music Studio Equipment
- Talk to other musicians. Oftentimes, the best resource for this subject can be your music teacher, mentor, or other musicians in your area. They can probably tell you which local places will have what you’re looking for, or where to get it elsewhere. They may even be able to get you a discount if they’re plugged into the local music scene.
- Go online. The internet is becoming a one-stop destination for buying music studio equipment. There are many different websites that sell both used and new equipment. You can buy everything from guitar straps to drum sets. A simple Google search will bring up hundreds of resources.
- Read reviews. One of the best ways to find good retailers is to read the reviews of other customers. You can usually find them on the retailer’s website or other places, like Yelp. If a company has enough good reviews, it’s usually a good sign their products are worth it.
Make the most of your money by being a smart shopper. Even if you know exactly what you want, you can usually find it at a cheaper price if you look for a while. As always, don’t be afraid to negotiate when looking for music studio equipment.